Thursday, July 20, 2006

Miscellaneous pictures

So stupid school has really been cramping my African vacation. I was going to try to go to Cairo last weekend, but it didn't pan out. But, as a friend of mine put it, what's Egypt got anyway? A bunch of sand, a few pyramids, mummies, sewage problems and terrible attitude toward women. So I guess I really didn't miss out much.

Also, finals are next week, so I have to do some studying. BORING!!

Anyway, I figured I'd toss a few pictures on that none of you would have seen yet. Hope you enjoy.

From my dhou trip in Lamu. The guy has to stand on the board to counterbalance, and keep the wind from blowing the sail boat over. It was good entertainment just watching the guy walk back and forth along the board.



I took this one from the top floor of this guy's house in Lamu. I stopped to ask him a question, and the next thing I knew, he took me all over the place to help me get a few pictures. It kind of gives a feel for what it looked like there.



How come donkeys always look depressed? Seriously, when they made up the Eeyore character, they hit it right on the head. Every one I saw looked like its mother had just died.



This was taken in a clandestine fashion by my friend, Chris. This German fellow was walking across part of the glacier on the top of Kilimanjaro when he fell down and smacked his head on the ice. I'm probably lucky it didn't happen to me. I only blacked out once, and I caught myself before I hit my head on a rock. Anyway, Chris got the shot, and then the girls in our group got mad at him for taking the picture. They said something about being insensitive, or something; I don't remember. I almost tried to take a picture of him, but by the time I got there, there were too many people around him to get a picture. I'm sure if the guy saw this picture, he'd be glad someone took it.



This is where we stayed the fourth night on the mountain. This spot was about 14,200 feet, or something like that. Blah blah blah--I'm like a slide show, but in written form, inflicting you with painful detail of everything going on in the shot.



This one is definitely on my list of my favorite shots I've taken this whole trip.



This was taken from the summit. I was in a total altitude-induced haze at this point. It was one of the weirdest feelings of my life. Kind of like coming out of anesthesia, but colder, and more wind. Anyway, that's another big mountain in the background (forgot what it's called). You can look at all of them on Google Earth. I checked it out the other day.



That's Chris. I just liked how this shot turned out.


And finally, I really struggled with whether or not I was going to post this shot. A few weeks ago, I let the beard go for a while, and it was getting out of control. I don't have a beard trimmer with me, so I decided to shave, but before I went to that extreme, I decided to see what the old molestache would look like on me. Judge for yourself:

Seriously, that's just scary. If I had kids, I wouldn't have allowed myself to be around them until I shaved that thing off. It still gives me a full-body shiver when I look at that picture.

OK kids, that's all for now. Next week I'll be watching the wildebeast migration. I guess there's a pretty good chance of us seeing a lion or crocodile, or something take a wildebeast down. I so hope I get to see that. So if things go well, the next post I throw on here will have some great blood and guts. Here's hoping...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dallas you sure do have some sweet pics! I finally got your blog page from Lo. Mom tried to give it to me several times, but somehow the full web address was never received. Anywho... Sounds, & looks like you're having a SWEET time in Africa! Jealous. You're like Caidens uncle traveling Dally! Sure miss ya!
-Love Mo, Caiden & Jeff

Lorien said...

mmm. (insert heeby jeebies here) I agree. The stache is creepy. Beard or nuthin, I say.

Anonymous said...

Who is this wise friend of yours that talks so profoundly about Egypt? She sounds extremly intelligent and is probably very good looking. And, I'm pretty sure she sports the mustache much better than you.

The Dally Llama said...

Merciful heavens, let's all hope not.

P.S. I've got some wicked pictures of lions and stuff coming soon. Que tengan paciencia, or however you spell it.

Anonymous said...

I don't know if the *molestache* is the worst you could do...

http://www.thenelsonbrothers.com
/photos/promos/atrpro.html

hee. hee. (i don't remember how sensitive you are abt this - love you, though!)

Locations of visitors to this page