Wednesday, November 21, 2007

30 seconds of fame

So any of you who went to the BYU v. Hartford basketball game last night were part of one of the most harrowing athletic moments of my life. I got picked to be the guy to go out on the court at half time, drive the length of the court, shoot a lay up, come to the other end, shoot another lay up, then drive to the other side of the court to shoot a 3 pointer. I had 30 seconds to do it in.

Short version: I suck at basketball. I was worried I would dribble the ball off my foot, and spend 30 seconds chasing the ball all over the court, or throw up an airball, and have the crowd boo me, or something. I missed my first lay up (I wasn't joking when I said I suck at basketball), and made the next two. My first 3 point shot hit the side of the rim, but I got the rebound just as the announcer called out 10 seconds left. Knowing that I only had time for one more shot, I took my time, got in position, squared up and took the shot right as time expired. I nailed the shot. 13,000 or so people cheering loud for something I just did. In a word, it was

AWESOME.

I'm working on getting video of the occasion from BYU. I don't know if they'll release it or not, but if I get it, I'll put it up here. I don't have moments like that very often, so I have to maximize my enjoyment of them while I can.

4 comments:

Rascal Vic Finn said...

awsome, good job dallas!!!

Lyle said...

That's one up from my experience in performing at halftime [for BYU] when I was in 5th grade and Sunset View put on a show with about 50 kids doing various choerographed activites set to the music of "Staying Alive".

The Dally Llama said...

Lyle, I think everyone knows that this was way cooler. WAY cooler.

Lyle said...

Did you win anything for your accomplishment? Statistically, what you did only happens once in a blue moon.

Locations of visitors to this page