Monday, February 25, 2008

Best 12 bucks I ever spent

So when I got an email from a friend last week, asking if I wanted to go to the local women's roller derby teams skate on Saturday, the only thing for me to say was "A million times YES!!" I used to watch that on early morning cable channels when I was a kid, and it never failed to entertain. Going was a no-brainer

But first, I spent about an hour and a half reading up on the rules on Wikipedia to make sure I would understand what I would be watching.

The next thing we did was to make signs. I went with the traditional using the letters from ESPN to spell something (despite the fact that no ESPN people were within 500 miles of this). Unfortunately, there was nobody on the team with an N in her fake name, so I opted for "Nasty."

Of course I made sure to put the name of the hottest girl, Savage Scout, on my poster.


This was another one of my poster name girls, Merry Pain. With her skates on, she was easily a foot taller than me. It was a flash back to 7th grade, except funnier. She was nice enough to hunch down, so as not to make me look like a midget in this picture, and she even gave me a kiss on the cheek at one point, but my buddy with the camera didn't catch the action. Yeah. I got game. The other girl in the picture is my friend John, who, having consumed 1.5 beers at this point, was very, very drunk, which I'm sure you would never guess from this picture...


I think this lady may have been my bus driver when I was in Jr. high, come to think of it. Why she chose to be Willie Nelson's doppelgänger, I'll never know.


We were right on the edge of the track. The ref told us that if anyone wrecked in front of us, we could shove her back onto the track. Instead of pushing girls on roller skates, I tried to push my friend John into the crash zone as they came by, which was easy b/c he was pretty drunk. I never caused any collisions though, which is probably fortunate. I would have felt pretty bad if one of the derby girls damaged her skates on John's head or something.






Yes, that is a John 3:16 sign, and no, he is not a born again Christian. We were going for sports cliches, and that's what he came up with.


Anywho, it was a highly amusing night. Between watching the girls skate (and they skated their hearts out, and played an intense game that came down to the last second) and watching several of my very drunk friends at such a high-class event, that night was well worth the $12 it cost. Women's roller derby gets two thumbs up from me!

2 comments:

Lorien said...

Yes, Savage is hot, but she looks a little cross-eyed. Did she crash?

Shauna said...

ahahah i love it! Dallas this is the pick me up i needed at work today. thank you dear for making me have the desire to look up a roller derby in the greater las vegas area.

Locations of visitors to this page