Sunday, November 13, 2005

New Year's resolution

OK, so my blog sucks. I frequently think about posting something, but most of the funny things that I think of day in day out are things that would only be funny to other law students. Translation: not funny at all, sometimes painfully not so. All that aside, I noticed that 152 people have viewed my profile. Who the hell are they? So far I've had my sister, her husband, one person not related to me and a blog spammer leave comments. Other than that, the only people that look are related to me. Pathetic. Anyway, on to the meat of what I have to say.

I'm of the opinion that New Year's resolutions suck. They're often tritely made with little to no intention of following through. --At least mine always were. So a long time ago I decided that the only New Year's resolution I would ever set would be not to write the wrong year on checks. I write approximately 15 checks a year now, so that isn't too tough. But I've decided to push myself and set a difficult, meaningful goal. I actually started on it back in September and have already failed, so I'm starting over now. Here it is:

During orientation week at the law school there were all kinds of organizations handing out free crap like water bottles, post it notes and what not. One group was handing out highlighters and pens. Good idea. The pen was just one of those cheap rollerball throw away kinds that Bic has deluged the earth with. Anyway, I was looking at it the other day and I realized that I don't think I have ever used one of those cheap Bic roller ball pens all the way to exhaustion. Bam!! New Year's resolution made. So my goal is to hang on to this pen I got from the New York State Bar Association until it is completely out of ink. I may retire before that happens, so this is not a flippantly made goal.

Not long after that idea occurred to me, I had an idea for another goal. Every Thursday, Barbri (a company that sells unbelievably expensive bar review classes; no lie, most people have to take a separate loan out to pay for the class, then a separate loan to pay the fee to take the bar. And then people wonder why attorneys are expensive...) has a table set up to get students to enroll in their classes. They have free pens and highlighters on the table, so I've been going by each week for the last few weeks and pilfering their supply of free highlighters. Last week I think I nabbed six. I'm going to try to get at least ten this week. But they only put out so many of them in the color I like. I figure I'm paying them a few thousand dollars for a review course, I'm entitled to a few hundred markers. My goal is to finish law school without ever having purchased a highlighter. That is a much more lofty goal than the one with the pen, as I use highlighters a lot more than pens. Sometimes I'm one of those dorks that reads a case, or article, highlighting the important parts, only to realize when I finish that I only left two or three lines un-highlit. I've burned through three highlighters so far.

So there are my goals. I'm going to use a Bic rollerball pen until it's completely dry, and I'm never going to buy a highlighter in law school. Nothing like meaningful, lofty goals, right?

Oh, and I should probably find some time go get out and date a little more. Maybe I'll leave that to be my 2007 resolution. I wouldn't want to rush things.

--A little more? All I would have to do is go on dates bi-annually and I would meet that goal at my current pace.

6 comments:

kateykakes said...

Nice blog (and I'm NOT a spammer, I promise).

You can avoid the spam by turning on your word verification through your blogger dashboard or download Haloscan, which works great.

Anyway, I've bookmarked and plan to stop by often. Feel free to stop by my site if you're up to it.

Keep writing; I'll keep reading.

Lyle said...

I think a better goal would be to finish law school, become a hit man and take out some spammers, and then represent yourself in court. You'd be everyone's hero for sure.

Don't feel bad, your not the only one that gets few and infrequent visits to your site.

If ever you or you new personal supplier run out of highlighters, let me know and you can have mine. I have found myself using colored pens instead of highlighting.

Best wished in law school and your resolutions.

Lorien said...

I'm impressed. You really know how to set the BAR high! BA-DUM-BUM! Now there's a funny law joke! HA!

Guy and I think both these goals are a bit more meaningful than filling a jar full of toenail clippings. More useful? Now that depends on how bad the roommate is. The threat of toenail shards in the sheets is a good one.

I especially like the highlighter goal. Come to think of it, Christmas is coming, the goose is thin, and who doesn't like a highlighter?

Sister Pottymouth said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Sister Pottymouth said...

Reposting here....what I meant to say before I accidentally deleted my own comment was this:

Maybe you could sell the highlighters on e-bay to pay for your bi-annual dates. Heck--if people will buy plastic containers of tsunami water, they'll by a bucketload of hot highlighters. You could pay for law school....

p.s. I'm in Lorien's ward--or at least on the fringes of it.

Anonymous said...

I fool read a few of the articles on your website now, and I unqualifiedly like your style of blogging. I added it to my favorites web period roster and will be checking promote soon. Will check into public notice my position as approvingly and vindicate me conscious what you think. Thanks.

Locations of visitors to this page