Sunday, August 06, 2006

Back in the U.S.A.

OK, so I totally loved Africa, but I was realizing the other day that it's good to be home. Here's a list of things I miss and don't miss.

Miss:
-Being the only white guy around.
-Getting to see incredible new places and things, and meeting new people.
-Having nothing to do and all day to do it while in a foreign country.
-Going on cool safaris every week.
-The people.
-Not having a cell phone in my pocket.
-All the incredible friends I made with the other students in the program.

Don't miss:
-Garbage burning in the streets everywhere.
-The lack of vehicle emissions standards.
-Being treated like I'm rich and stupid because I'm white.
-The crisis of conscience you get when you have a dirt-poor 9-year-old beg you for money, but you know that s/he'll just buy super glue to huff with any money you give him/her.
-Catty in-fighting between some of the girls in our program.
-Being on the other side of the world as my friends and family.
-Malaria medication.

So there you have it. Great to be back. I think it was the most fun summer I've ever had. I highly recommend going to a foreign country with a group of incredible people. --Particularly Kenya. If you get the chance, jump all over it.

6 comments:

Lorien said...

I missed having you burp and blow in my face. Good to have you back.

The Dally Llama said...

Like I would ever do that. And even if I did, you completely deserve it from all your best attempts to scar me for life in my infancy.

Sister Pottymouth said...

Miss:

--the sibling rivalry between you & Lorien

Welcome back. Someday I'll have to meet you in person to see if you're really like what Lorien says you are.

Anonymous said...

Dude, how can you put Malaria medication in the "Miss" catagory? Please say that was a typo. I love that stuff! It curbs your appeptite and makes you sunburn easier...every girl's dream!
Bienvenido a Casa.

The Dally Llama said...

Ah. You were obviously on Doxycycline. One of the girls on our trip was taking that one, and she told us ALL about Doxycycline. Someone from the trip, please post something and back me up on this one.

And I don't know that it would be wise to curb my appetite. I'm not exactly what you would call a "big dude." I also venture to say that nothing could make me sunburn more easily than I already do. No, I was on Malarone. Instead of all that loveliness, it just gave me horrible stomache cramps, gas, and performed various other forms of gastric magic. Don't miss it in the slightest.

Anonymous said...

I believe there was a girl named Jen that might have mentioned once while we were on Kili that she was on Doxycycline. However, she was a really sweet girl. I'm sure she was too busy telling one of her interesting and charming stories to tell you "ALL about Doxycycline."

Also, this "catty fighting between girls," seriously Dallas, I have no idea what you are talking about.

Locations of visitors to this page