Monday, August 28, 2006

I have a desk!

OK, I have a riddle: What do you get when you combine a generous grant from the Brent D. and Janet R. scholarship fund, 9 hours of assembly time that I did not have this weekend, a drill, hammer, and a couple of cuss words? A desk that I can actually feel like a student while sitting in front of, that's what! Check it out in all its majesty. I'm not positive, but I'm pretty confident that I'm a little bit smarter just for having it in my room



Having a desk means a couple of things for me:

1) I can finally unpack all of my stuff from the boxes its been sitting in since I sold my condo in May, 2005.
2) My fly tying stuff is back out in the open, where it rightfully belongs. Not that it will get used any more this year than it did last year, but it's the principle of it.
3) I had to unpack those boxes, and I was reminded what a sentimental pack rat I am. You wouldn't believe the stuff I found when I unpacked these boxes. Here's a sampling:
3a) My binder from Space Camp in Huntsvill, Alabama. Yes, I went to Space Camp approximately 16 years ago, and I still have the binder, a polaroid of me in a space suit, and the picture I took of a counselor there (I also got his autograph) because our counselor told us he was Mike Tyson. He didn't look a thing like Mike Tyson. The similarities were that he was black, and he had a gap in his teeth. Other than that, they didn't look a thing alike. But because I was very trusting at that age, and having grown up in Provo, could count the number of black people I had seen to that point in my life on my hands and feet, I thought, "Wow, the T.V. really does make people look different. After all, our counselor certainly wouldn't lie to us..." and took a picture of the dude and got his autograph.

3b) A regular sized cassette tape and a microcassette tape. I have no idea what is on these tapes, but I'm pretty sure I made them while I was a missionary. Because I no longer own a tape player, I can't find out what is on them, but for some reason, I can't make myself throw them away.

3c)About 8 old binocular lense cleaning rags. Hey, you never know when you might need 8 soft rags to clean optics.

3d) Speaker wall mounts for speakers I no longer own.

3e) TONS of letters people wrote me on my mission. Most of these are from people I haven't heard from since then, bt I still would feel rude if I threw them away.

The list goes on... Meanwhile, I'm still stuck with a ton of clutter, and a small apartment that seriously lacks closet space for putting such things. It's driving me crazy b/c I hate having lots of stuff filling up floor space. Maybe I should just bite the bullet and throw it all away, but you never know when someone might ask me a few questions about the space shuttle's solid rocket boosters, and I would hate to be without my only reference book on the subject.

5 comments:

Lorien said...

nice lookin desk! I want one. But mine I would fill with sewing stuff. Not completely un-akin to fly tying stuff.

A ponytail? Did you find an old, mangy ponytail? I just found out you can donate old hair (if it's been in a ponytail) to Locks of Love, a charity for kids with cancer who need wigs. That's where purple people eater's ponytail went.

The Dally Llama said...

Yeah, I know. She made me feel guilty about letting it sit in storage when she told me she was growing he hair out to help kids with cancer. Here she is, growing her hair to save the world, and I was just doing it to piss people off.

And no, I didn't find it in those boxes. It's in storage. Will they still take it if it's over 10 years old?

Garden Man said...

Hey! Mister Llama!
Thanks for visitin' the blog. I think I last saw you tucked away in Kactiguy's attic. I think that everyone should live in the guy's attic or basement some time in their life. It's nice to see that you are doing so well and you even got a pic of my mullet before I had to cut it off (I needed to raise my IQ a few points for a job interview). I hope that school is going well.
Have a great day!

Anonymous said...

please, oh please can you scan the space camp picture and post it?

seaudays said...

replica prada nylon bags replica bags in bangkok replica bags bangkok

Locations of visitors to this page